Saturday, August 16, 2008

Taking a Break

When I've watched the Holiday Programme on the telly I've often wondered where the presenters go for their holidays. Somewhere different I suppose. I get a vision of Judith Chalmers, on a break, chained to a wall in a dank cellar but this usually disappears when I take my pill.

Before we go on a cruise we diet for several weeks, it's like fattening yourself up for Lent, but in reverse. The eating starts when you get onboard and you only really stop when you're having a drink. Sometimes I feel like the creature in the Pacman video game endlessly trying to eat his way out of the maze. I've had smoked salmon for breakfast every day so far, so today we skipped breakfast to have a break and a nice lie in.

We were gently massaged by the mattress which vibrated to the rhythm of the ship as it ploughed its way through a choppy sea towards Venice. To save the bother of looking sidways out of the patio window, we watched the white horses on the view from the front of the ship displayed on the flat screen TV at the foot of our bed. We nibbled Belgian chocolate biscuits.

It made us realise that it is the simple things in life, like watching TV and eating biscuits in bed, that are really the most important. It helps of course if you do them on a luxury cruise ship and have a Phillipino maid to sweep up the crumbs.

Dave C

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Mum usually kills me for having biscuits in the bed!!

'er indoors said...

Now then Lord Dave, 'fess up. All this taking a break from the smoked salmon is but a ruse. The truth is, you were so successful in your undercover role as (ahem) 'dancing partner' that you are now in hiding from the blue-rinsed hordes demanding your favours. We are disappointed that you wimped out.